The appeal of rucking is its simplicity. Load up a backpack (we recommend this one) with some weight and go for a walk.
While it may seem simple, proper rucking form is essential to avoid injury and get the most out of your ruck. Here are five things to focus on to ensure proper rucking form.
- Posture: Maintaining a straight, upright posture is the first step in proper rucking form. However, this is done with a slight forward lean of the body. Keep your head up and your shoulders back. Your back should be straight, and your core should be engaged. This will help distribute the weight evenly across your body.
- Foot placement: Proper foot placement is key to avoiding injury and maximizing your workout. Take short, quick steps, landing on the mid-foot and rolling through to the toes. Keep your feet hip-width apart, and make sure your toes are pointing straight ahead.
- Weight distribution: The weight of your ruck should be evenly distributed between your shoulders and hips. This will help reduce strain on your lower back and prevent injury. Make sure the weight of the ruck is centered on your back, not too far forward or backward. If your ruck is too heavy, use the waist or chest strap to help distribute the weight evenly.
- Arm position: Keep your arms relaxed, and let them swing naturally. Avoid crossing your arms in front of your body, as this can cause strain on your lower back. If you are trying to ruck faster, a quicker swing of your arms can increase your pace as your feet often follow the cadence of your arms.
- Breathing: Proper breathing is essential to prevent fatigue and injury. Take deep breaths through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Focus on breathing evenly and consistently, and avoid holding your breath.
By maintaining a straight posture, proper foot placement, weight distribution, arm position, and breathing, you can maximize the benefits of rucking while avoiding injury.
Now that you’ve got the form, consider adding a rucking workout or sign up for a rucking event, like the GORUCK Star Course!
Four Simple Solutions for Post Rucking Recovery
April 2019 Rucking Challenges
Union Ruck Crew – Ruck Club Spotlight
Palm Beach Rucking Crew – Ruck Club Spotlight
What is Rucking?
Is Rucking Better Than Running?
Best Rucking Backpacks List
How Many Calories Do I Burn Rucking?