Rucking, or walking with a weighted backpack, has gained popularity in recent years as a way to improve physical fitness and mental toughness. But did you know that rucking can also be a fun and engaging activity for the whole family? By making a few adjustments, rucking can become a family activity that promotes health, fitness, and quality time spent together.
Here are some tips and ideas to help you make rucking a family activity:
- Choose Child-Friendly Routes: When planning your rucking route, make sure to choose one that is appropriate for the whole family. Consider picking a trail that has interesting sights along the way. Try to avoid crowded and busy streets.
- Set Up Scavenger Hunts: Turn your ruck into an exciting scavenger hunt by creating a list of items for your family to find along the way. These items could be anything from a certain type of flower to a specific color of rock. The first person to find all the items on the list wins a prize! (or, better yet, the looser has to do push-ups.)
- Incorporate Games into the Ruck: Add an element of fun to your ruck by incorporating games into the activity. You could play “I Spy,” where one person picks an object they can see, and the others have to guess what it is. Another game you could play is “20 Questions,” where one person thinks of an object, and the others have to guess what it is by asking yes or no questions.
- Pack Snacks and Water: Make sure to pack plenty of water and healthy snacks to keep everyone energized during the walk. You could even pack a picnic and take a break halfway through the ruck to enjoy some food together.
- Set Goals and Celebrate Achievements: Set goals for your family rucks, such as walking a certain distance or completing a certain trail. When you achieve your goal, celebrate as a family! This could be something as simple as taking a family photo or enjoying a special treat together.
- Earn a Patch: While these Rucking Challenges are programmed for adults, bring the kids along and modify as needed.
- Do a Star Course: With a number of different distances from 5K-50K, the GORUCK Star Course is a great way to ruck together as a family.
By following these tips and ideas, rucking can become a fun and engaging family activity. It’s an excellent way to spend quality time together while also promoting health and fitness. So grab your backpacks, lace up your shoes, and hit the trail for a family ruck today!